Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Oh No!!! Our first taste of Mary Jane!

Well, here I am trying to recover from last night's conversation with my 15 year old. As some of you know, I am the mother of 4 sweet cherubs. Adam is 17 and a senior in high school. Gabe is 15 and he is a Fresh-more and may stay that was for years! The jury is still out on that one! MK (Mari-Kathrin) (Faf-Fra) is 13, in 8th grade and has aspirations to be a kindergarten teacher and Dillon is 6, first grade and as smart as a whip!
Anyway, back to the title. Last night, when I got home, there was no Gabe to be found. He has a pretty decent group of kids that he is hanging around with at this time, and I know most of their telephone numbers, so I started calling and leaving messages. A few called me back but no Gabe was with them. Hmmmmmmmm.......I started to worry but Gabe knows where there is good food and free cable tv, let alone his new stereo! And about 7:30, he showed up. Kinda looking like his tail was between his legs, he came into my bedroom and asked if he could talk to me in his room. "Sure!", I said, and now I was scared! What happened? Who did it? What was done? All those questions raced through my mind. Did he get expelled from school? Was there more hanky-panky going on with the old girlfriend than I knew about? Oh the dilemma I had thought up in my sorted little brain! So I walked with trepidation towards Gabe's room, closed the door behind me and got ready to listen.
Now, I try to listen to my kids with an open heart, as if I were in their position, as they tell me what they must tell me. I do try not to judge, since that was something that was done on a regular basis growing up in Nebraska. And I try to open m y mind up and not scream, even though that may be the first thing that comes to mind. So with that said........
Gabe: "Mom, I tried marijuana tonight, for the first time." His eyes lowered to the floor.
Me: "I see, Gabe, tell me what happened and who you were with."
And the story unfolds. He went home with a friend from school to hang out with his younger brother while the older one was busy. Seems this younger brother, age 14, as they were hanging out in his bedroom, brought out a "gold box" and placed it on his bed. Gabe, being the inquiring mind that he is, asked "What is that?" only to be followed with the answer "Nothing!" Now can you imagine how coy that must have sounded to a inquiring mind! Of course he wants to know what is in the box, so he grabs it and opens it and TA DA!!!! A joint! Well, I'll be darned! And to think there was "nothing" in there! So the boys proceed to go out back of the house and light up this stick of magic!
Now, I have never been interested in Mary Jane and have never partaken in the smoking of a joint, but in my day have done a few mushrooms, they are a thing of the earth ya know! Made me laugh so hard, I think a Depends was in order! Anyway, the kids know that Mom has had her fun, not that I have shared much to them.....that comes in it's own time. Back to the tale...
The kid that Gabe is hanging with in the backyard, smokin' a doobie, doesn't hear his dad come home. And guess who catches the boys! That's right! The Dad! I guess he gave them quite a talk. That is why Gabe "had" to confess. He thought that the Dad may be calling me to share the news.
The short term punishment: No after school anything. Come home on the bus at least for the next week. I haven't quite decided how to execute the "right" punishment but it is just enough right now that the Dad caught them in the act.........

To be continued.......

1 comment:

Will said...

This is your chance to be Cher! Dress up in your best Cheech and Chong outfit and "party" with Gabe! The whole 60's hippie get up is in order.

Poor Gabe, I just love that boy. I wonder if he liked it? Will he do it again? We havea phone call in our future.